Monday, March 13, 2006

Propaganda 101

You've got to read this piece of crap letter I got back from Sweet Melissa (my congresswoman), when I wrote to her complaining about Bush's illegal spying. It is sickening.

Dear Mr. X:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding the National Security Agency (NSA) foreign intercepts. As your congresswoman, I appreciate your input as well as the opportunity to address your concerns.

I agree with you that protecting the personal freedoms and privacy of United States citizens is essential to maintaining democracy in our country. However, the safety and security of our homeland and its citizens is equally important. While it is true that we have not been struck since the September 11 terrorist attacks, that does not mean we are safe from future attacks. As I am sure you are aware, just last month Osama Bin Laden released an audiotape with direct threats to U.S. citizens.

As far as the intercepts go, the NSA is playing a crucial role in the War on Terror. The NSA understands that we are at war and that we face determined enemies who will strike without warning. It is also essential that we learn the intentions of the enemies before they strike. The NSA works to protect us, and their efforts are a crucial part in protecting the homeland and achieving success in Iraq and Afghanistan .

The communication intercepts do not apply to phone calls placed within the United States . They are only being used to intercept international calls associated with terrorist groups that may endanger our national security. The intention is not to deny citizens their civil liberties or invade their privacy. This monitoring practice is also grounded in precedent. Since the Revolutionary War, intercepting communications between our enemies abroad and their potential agents in this country has been a vital part of protecting our national security.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me, and I appreciate your input on this matter. If I can be of further assistance regarding any federal issue, please do not hesitate to contact my office. I encourage you to visit my webpage at www.hart.house.gov for an update on my work in Congress.

H Very truly yours,
Melissa Hart Member of Congress

MH:tw

Has Roves' fingerprints all over it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home