Monday, August 14, 2006

this is good

From Blogcritics.org:

Dear Democratic Party:

Hi. I am a voter. Remember me? I'm not so sure you do. You haven't been answering my calls. Or any of my friends' calls either. In fact, to be honest, I sense a real breakdown in communication between you and us voters. It's almost as if there are two Democratic Parties: one for voters and one for office-holders.

It's a sad state of affairs, I know, especially when you consider there are so many more Democratic voters than there are Democrats in office. But it's what I wanted to write to you about today. I still think we can fix this.

You've been real quiet lately. Quiet in that sad sort of a way that lets me know you're thinking about something, but you don't want to say what it is. Maybe it has something to do with the other guys in your office. You know, the ones who say that if you stand up for something, it means you're an extremist and that you hate America. Maybe you've started to believe it. I hope not.

I really hope that, even though they barely outnumber you in that building, you haven't forgotten the millions of people who think they're wrong. Because, there's more of us than there were before. In fact, we outnumber them now.

Which brings me to what happened in Connecticut last week. Yeah, about that...some of you guys seem kind of upset. I'm sorry about that. Not sorry about Lieberman losing, we did that on purpose. I'm sorry it upset you. That was the opposite of what we wanted to do. We wanted to get you guys motivated. Because we are motivated, and, well, you're not.

For the Democrats (by that I mean both you, the ones in office, and us, the voters), this should be our year. The voters are ready for some serious change in this country, but you're still acting like it's December of 2004. You're still licking your wounds, scratching your heads, and staring at the ass that got handed to you with a look of stunned confusion.

It's not a good sign of the state of affairs when a majority of us voters would rather choose the unknown than the status quo. It's even worse when the powers that be can't see the writing on the wall and decide to stick with status quo; a lack of definition, a dejected acceptance of irrelevance compared to the other guy.

"Democrats: We're Not Republicans" failed as a party slogan in 2004. It isn't going to work this year either (in part because the new Republican slogan is "I'm Not One of Those Republicans").

So about this Lamont thing. It wasn't a triumph of the blogging community. It wasn't a slap in the face to Lieberman and only Lieberman. It was us voters standing up, going to the windows, sticking our heads out and yelling, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more!" - read it all

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home